Dromore National School was opened on October 13th 1915. Located in the townland of Dromore, the school was initially on a 2-rood site, although more land was added later. The school is located between the villages of Crossroads and Killygordon. It was built using parochial and government funds and replaced an older school which was located on the site of the old graveyard beside St. Patrick’s Church, Crossroads. The school was initially a two-roomed building with a temporary partition separating the larger room thus giving a total of three classrooms. The rooms were 20.5 feet long, 18 feet wide and 13 feet high. The Parish priest at the time was Fr. Bernard Mc Laughlin. The first Principal was Master Browne who transferred from the original school. His assistants at the time were Miss O’Donnell and Mr. O’Brien. The first recorded roll of the school dates from January 17th 1916, Master John Noonan replaced Master Browne as principal in 1935. A native of Co. Clare, he had previously worked in Gleneely N.S. and Tievebrack N.S. Gleneely N.S. is still in operation but Tievebrack N.S. closed many years ago. Master Noonan died in 1955 and was succeeded by Master John (Jock) Reid. His tenure was cut short due to illness and Master Danny Cullen who was Principal of Gleneely N.S. at the time succeeded him in July 1962. Following Master Cullen’s retirement from teaching in 1995, Mrs. Maura Masterson took over as Principal. In 2002 Mrs. Mary Mc Granaghan originally from Mayo who started her teaching career in the school took over as principal of Dromore, where she continues to the present day.
In 1961/62 major renovations were carried out at Dromore when cloackrooms and toilets were added. The school was closed during this period and classes were relocated to the Parish hall, the Parochial cottage, Crossroads and Gallen’s barn. This refurbishment was organised under the management of Fr. Patrick Mc Hugh PP and carried out by Slevin’s contractors. In 1968 government policy on the location of National Schools changed. The increasing availability of cars and buses meant that pupils had transport options other than walking. Lismulladuff N.S. was amalgamated with Dromore N.S. at that time. Prefabricated buildings were added to Dromore to accommodate the extra 30 pupils and their teachers. Although this was supposed to be a temporary arrangement, it wasn’t to be until 1991 when 3 extra classrooms were added to Dromore under the management of Fr. Michael Keaveny PP. Funds for the renovation were raised by the parish.
2007 saw a significant change to the school with the building of an all-purpose hall, library, computer suite, learning support room, court yard, classroom, staff room, staff toilet and wheelchair access toilet facilities The entire school was also totally refurbished this year with the three initial classrooms divided into two, to include storage and ensuite facilities. Sporting facilities were also developed with a new basketball court and astro turf pitch along with all play areas tarmacked and lined out for numerous games and fun activities. The playing field to the back of the school was also developed at this time.
2013 saw the next extension to Dromore National School. With ever increasing numbers, an extra classroom and two resource rooms were required. Dromore was also to open its doors to children with Autism. This required the building of an Autistic unit. The Autistic unit comprised of a large classroom base, toilet and showering facilities, a withdrawal room and a sensory room. In 2015 Dromore National School continued to develop and a further extension was completed. This consisted of two autism classes, two resource rooms and a speech and language room. In 2016, the school purchased with help from the parish a further 8 acres for future development.
At present, in 2017 we are awaiting the beginning of another extension of two mainstream classes and computer suite. We were granted our fifth autism class and now have an administrative Deputy Principal.